Howard University invites suitable applicants to apply for Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program 2020 / 2021.
Fellowship Application Closing Date: 15 April 2020
Bursary Location: United States
Bursary Provider: Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program
Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program 2020-2021 (HSAFP) was established for mid-career professionals who were disadvantaged by past laws and resource allocations in South Africa. The HSAFP was initiated to provide educational enrichment for mid-career individuals in various occupations who have shown considerable skills and leadership in their chosen fields. Applications are invited for the Harvard South Africa Fellowship Program 2020-2021.
Master’s and non-degree programmes
Fields of Study
Master’s degrees in Public health, Law and Public Administration
Non-degree programmes in management and leadership development
What the scholarship offers
– Tuition for the full period of enrolment at Harvard
– Round-trip airfare between the Fellow’s home and Boston
– Monthly stipend with the exception of those enrolled in Executive Education Programmes, to cover accommodation, living and medical expenses as well as food, winter clothing, taxes and books
Who can apply?
- Fellows must be South African citizens
- Usually between 30 and 45 years of age
- Must not have just completed or nt completed a Bachelor’s degree, unless this degree has been pursued concurrently with or subsequent to experience in the workplace
- Applicants should determine well in advance whether if awarded a fellowship, they can be granted leave by their employers for Harvard’s academic year
How to apply
The HSAFP application is hosted on CARAT (Centralized Application for Research and Travel) and search “HSAFP” for the application. Unless you are a Harvard affiliate, you must register for an XID before applying through CARAT. You will create an XID LogidID and password to use when accessing CARAT. If you are a Harvard student or alumnus, you can access CARAT with your HarvardKey user credentials. Please note that upload sizes on CARAT are limited to 2MB.
Complete the application on CARAT and upload the necessary documents through the “Uploads” tab.
- Submit transcripts from all post-secondary institutions you have attended. Transcripts must be submitted through the “Uploads” tab on CARAT. Transcripts must show the grades and course titles for all your post-secondary coursework. Copies of diplomas are NOT required.
LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION
- Two letters of recommendation must be submitted by recommenders through the “References” tab on CARAT. Alternatively, recommenders can e-mail the letters directly to Rosaline Salifu, Program Manager.
An academic essay and a personal statement must be submitted through the “Uploads” tab on CARAT.
- Academic Essay: Briefly describe an important issue relevant to your field of interest and South Africa, where possible. Propose a theoretical framework or strategy to address this issue. Applicants seeking admission into the Special Student or Visiting Fellow GSAS Programs should use this academic essay to describe their research and attach a description of their relevant coursework. Minimum 500 words, Maximum 1000 words.
- Personal Statement: Tell us something about yourself – in particular, why you wish to study at Harvard University and how doing so connects with what you have done in the past and what you plan to do in the future with your career in South Africa. Applicants seeking admission into the Special Student program should use this personal statement to explain how coursework and research opportunities at Harvard University will strengthen their doctoral work and teaching at their home institution. Minimum 250 words, Maximum 750 words.
- The Academic Essay and the Personal Statement should be typed in a standard font and font size (10 to 12 point). Essays should also be double-spaced.
- Include your full name on the top of each page and your signature at the end of the Academic Essay and the Personal Statement.
- Submit a copy of your most recent resume/CV with your application through the “Uploads” tab on CARAT.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE FORM
- Complete the Education and Professional Experience Form (also available in CARAT instructions) with your post-secondary education history and professional experience including all necessary details. Upload the form through the “Uploads” tab on CARAT.
Forward queries and questions by e-mail at [email protected] or by telephone at: +27 877010715.